Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Oh The Aches and Pains of It All...

  • Sunday, August 24, 2008
  • Jeff
  • Well, this has been a week of manual labor for me, and if you know me at all you know that it's not something I enjoy. It all started Tuesday (it was supposed to start Monday but my procrastination kicked in), with the garage. Now we've been here about two months and I've been ignoring the garage. I would even park the car in the driveway and walk with groceries all the way around to the front door to avoid it. But I couldn't take it any longer, neither could the rest of the family for that matter. Every time the kids wanted a bike or ball, or every time Jeff wanted some tool I would have everybody stand back while I waded through broken down boxes, weight equipment, shower curtain rods with the curtain still attached (don't ask) and who knows what else. I really think the city could have condemned it if they wanted to. So anyway bright and early Tuesday morning, well 9:00 anyway I went at it. Pulled everything out into the driveway, separated it all into piles, and then it started to rain. Have I mentioned I don't like physical work. Now the Gods are against me. So I pulled things back in just far enough to not get wet and went to work. Building shelves, going up and down the attic stairs, and sweeping spiders from everything. About 5:30 I decide I'm done for a while and Jeff comes home. Good Thing---He says it looks alot better, Bad Thing---He tells me I stink. Well of course I stink my body isn't used to this. It's physically rejecting work. Really, it happens. You'd think it would be the end of it but oh no I've got another day and a half to go. But now I'm happy to say we can fit both cars into the garage, which is good because Thursday my car window broke and wouldn't roll up all the way.

    So now Friday rolls around. Jeff has decided that he is going to build the garden beds. (I think because the wood was taking up space in my beautiful garage.) I'm thinking great, good for him, he enjoys gardening so. Late Friday afternoon Jeff is off so he gets out his work bench and his wood and his oil and starts treating the wood. I watch from inside the house where I should be. About dusk he comes in (these mosquitoes are killer) and says to me "Would you finish up oiling the boards tomorrow morning so when I get home I can start building?" WHAT...haven't I done my work quota for the year by now. Well being that he's so cute and can reach the really high things, I guess I could help. It's just wiping some oil on a few boards right. So the next morning I'm up bright and early again, (9:00) and I go out to the garage to survey the situation. There are 20 boards left, and these are big boards, and it's AUGUST IN TEXAS! Fine, it will take a couple of hours then I'll be done. I finish about noon. Then HE gets home.

    They're all done I say.

    Great, will you help me build them I can't do it by myself he says.

    What's that part about together forever again......

    After a VERY VERY long day, many many bruises, and some choice thoughts I don't care to reveal here, it's all done. Everything's been measured, measured again, cut, screwed, unscrewed, and rescrewed. They actually look pretty nice.


    Now we really have six of these and they're each 4 foot by 8 foot. They still need to be flipped over, secured to the ground and filled with dirt, but then we can start planting. And after that it's all easy right? All I know is he better be growing me something chocolate, or at least be bringing it home.

    0 comments:

    (c) Copyright 2010 Jeff and Kari. Blogger template by Bloggermint